Monday 30 May 2016

Prana Zander Pant Review

Reviewing a pair of climbing trousers is an unusual experience for me. I know what I’m doing when I’m evaluating a new pair of climbing shoes, and more importantly I know exactly how, if they are good, they can help my climbing progress. However, climbing trousers don’t work the same way. Until someone invents ‘low gravity’ trousers or a pair that have jet packs instead of pockets, what you wear is not going to generate the same type of hype a new cutting edge pair of climbing shoes does.

However, having said that we all wear trousers (I hope!) and as a result need them. I also think I am not alone in having preferred trousers for climbing. Comfortable with enough flexibility to get your foot up high – I don’t want to just pull on any old pairs of tracksuit bottoms if I am trying to send something close to my limit.

I have worn Prana trousers for years. Having grown up watching Chris Sharma’s ground breaking ascents in his latest film, they were always going to be a popular brand for me. However it is more than that, they tick all the mobility boxes (it helps that they cater for Yoga as well as climbing), have an excellent ethical approach to business, as well as their designs having a certain chic that draws the eye.
I am happy to say that the Zander pant surpassed all my expectations (well apart from the anti-gravity/jet pack thing!) It is one of the most lightweight and comfortable pairs of trousers I have worn climbing. They are made of stretch organic cotton that is both soft and (unsurprisingly) stretchy. I also like the bright and bold colours that they are being produced in – great for eye catching photos! I have worn them a couple of times now, including a session at the weekend where I decided to put them through their paces by climbing a variety of problem styles on my local southern sandstone and they just felt great to climb in.

So will the Prana Zander pant give you an extra grade in your climbing? No, I’m afraid it won’t. However, it will provide you with an attractive and comfortable fit which means you can keep your mind on what really matters – the climbing!


1 comment:

  1. How much are you in waist and what size do you wear?

    ReplyDelete